[TR] bolts below taillights?, without cage-nuts ok?

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Fri Aug 10 20:18:04 MDT 2007

I am taking my time attaching my fenders.  In fact, the the only wing I've
installed thus far on the rear of my TR3 will need to come off again.  The 3
bolts from the rear valence (?) which hold the fender to the body (below the
taillights) will have to be re-created as the flanges and original bolts are
gone.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this?

I've mentioned also my dislike for the cage-nuts which hold the fender/wing on
the body.  Many folks agreed with me.  "FT" pointed out how long they have
lasted.  I hope to use stainless nuts and bolts WITHOUT using any kind of
cages.  In other words, I will try to grab both the bolt-head and nut in order
to tighten them.  Yes, a cage securing a 4-sided nut was what the factory
originally used.  But, why is replacing the rusty cages with new ones
considered the norm when one can proably access both nut-end and bolt-end of
all of the fender attachments? Am I missing something here?

Thanks, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3