[TR] Noisy tach

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 00:03:45 MDT 2007

> I'm in the shake down phase of my restoration, and have found the tach to
> make the most noise of all. It is pretty constant, but is a bit
> intermittent. Any suggestions as to how to make it quiet down??

If it's really the tach, IMO the only cure is to replace it or have it rebuilt.  It should make no noise at all; but things start rubbing when the bushing wears out.

However, one thing to try is loosening the cable a bit on the back of the instrument.  I've heard reports of new cables being too long and putting pressure on the inner workings.

> Also, does the ammeter ever sit at zero? Mine always reads pretty high on
> the + side - new battery, the largest I could fit in the plastic battery
> box!

The original regulator is a bit crude; when properly adjusted it will allow a small charge all the time with the headlights, etc. off; and a small discharge all the time when they are on.

However, if you are still seeing a large charge after driving long enough to fully charge the battery (which can easily be 5-6 hours for a big battery that was heavily discharged to begin with), then there may be a problem with the regulator.  Best way to be sure IMO is to put a voltmeter across the battery; if you find more than 14.4 volts with the engine at fast idle, then there is a problem.

Randall