[TR] Water seeping up studs on a TR3A

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 5 14:03:09 MDT 2007

---- Allan Reich <areich at telus.net> wrote:
> I just replaced the head gasket on my TR3A again,

Did you check the nuts, studs & washers as I suggested before ?  Liner protrusion ?  Check head for flatness ?

> I have heard about lead wire seal and cooling fluid sealing .. what are
> the thoughts of the List group ???

My first thought would be to run it a bit more and see if the problem corrects itself.  Ordinary quality anti-freeze (which I assume you replaced after changing the head gasket) contains a small amount of stop-leak, which may be effective after some time.  It's also possible some times for coolant to be trapped in the stud cavity and be forced out when the engine gets hot (which will stop eventually).

If not, you could try some Aluma-Seal (my favorite) or similar.  Otherwise, I'm afraid it's off with the head again, to try to find the leakage path.

Randall