[Tigers] FYI: Is JEGS overcharging taxes?

Daniel Eiland deiland1 at att.net
Thu Sep 9 14:07:01 MDT 2021

In Texas the sales tax is 6.25% and the counties can add up to 2% on top of the state for a maximum sales tax of 8.25%. So, in Texas the sales tax will vary from a minimum of 6.25% to a maximum sales tax of 8.25% depending on what county you are in.
I finally got in touch with a JEGS sales rep who explained that they have been charging tax on the total cost of the sale plus the cost of shipping since 2019, when the laws changed.
They have standard shipping costs up to $200 and purchases over $200 ship free. I've probably never paid shipping on any of my past orders so this topic has never come up before.
Based on what they are telling me, they charged me 8.25% tax on the total cost of the sale plus the shipping. This would be correct based on how they handle taxes.
Dan Eiland
Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android