[Tigers] Girling brake master reservoir (Moss Motors... windshields)

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Wed Sep 8 16:51:31 MDT 2021

Joe Brown:/"Do we have another source for windshields?"/

This is a looming problem for not just Tigers, but the collector car
world as a whole. Most people don't consider the need..., until they
have the need. My understanding is windshields are made in batches...,
as there is need. So, if the volume is not there to spark the
manufacturer to  do a "run" availability dwindles. I mean who wants to
manufacture a fragile, large product and then sit on it for years until
YOU need it?

About 8 years ago I was looking for a windshield for my 1964 Studebaker
Daytona. There was ONE vendor in the mid-west (I'm west coast) that had
ONE windshield in stock. When I asked if they were going to get more the
owner replied, "Not likely." That windshield would have cost me over
$600+ delivered. In the end I bought a used windshield that had
scratches and  bull's-eye but at least it wasn't broken. In fact to
cover myself I bought two at $100 each. I then spent 10 hours making a
cradle to securely fit both windshields in my son's Honda Civic as it
was a 400 mile trip from where they were. And as it was these were
station wagon windshields that the seller cut a 1/2" section out to fit
the sedan.  So, yea, sometimes it comes to measures such as that.

In this day and age of lasers and CNC you would think that windshield
reproduction might be more practical. Or that modern plastics could
replace glass as a means of making windshields available and reasonably
priced. I saw on Wheeler Dealer how they cut a windshield for a Saab out
of a late model Impala windshield. But the wraparound nature of the
Tiger windshield negates that route. I didn't mean to ramble but least
anyone be taken by surprise somewhere down the road ... . Hopefully not
but the way businesses are changing you never know.
//