[Tigers] FYI: Is JEGS overcharging taxes?

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sun Sep 5 09:39:27 MDT 2021

Jim

                The big problem is the supply chain is all FUBAR.   Some products are 5 to 10 weeks delay if you’re lucky.

Dan

                Your problem is that your asking a legal question to a phone operator and I guarantee they do not have a lawyer on staff there.

There was a time when I noticed that companies were charging tax on postage and handling.  Taxing postage is not legal.   I think I wrote a complaint to the Post Office General.

I then noticed that companies changed the wording to handling and shipping – all taxable because they took the word postage out.

You have to look at any order to check the shipping and handling charge – they could be OK or down right outrageous these days.

Unfortunately, it’s buyer beware out there, fortunately there is a cancel or delete button.

I was ordering an exhaust system on Rock Auto one time and Rock Auto red flagged the main pipe – the supplier wanted to charge $300 shipping for an $80 part.

Thank you Rock Auto for the heads up, I noticed the high charge too – that part was purchased elsewhere.

As for who to report this to; I would say you need to report it to your State’s Attorney General.

We the people have little influence in these matters to a company but put a State’s Legal team behind something like this, the company will have to take notice.

If a company is over charging Tax – your State wants to know.

I’m not a lawyer so just my opinion on the subject.

Ron Fraser