[Tigers] Front suspension

Tom Hall modtiger at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 13:34:43 MDT 2021

On 10/1/2021 10:22 AM, jim via Tigers wrote:

> I’m definitely a layman but like to tweak things !!!
>
> My car has the 1976 suspension tuning added holes to fully relocate
> the upper A-arms and I’ve kept that setup. Other than minimal shimming
> for castor the camber will NOT go to zero ( or positive) and I have
> about 1 degree negative … I have a unique brake setup with 11” Porsche
> rotors on adapters and Wilwood Dynalite  calipers behind 14” 3 piece
> wheels. I changed the steering arms to the MGB one when I installed
> the Mazda power steering. The mounting holes for the MGB arms are
> parallel  so require a spacer to mount them in stock location. I saw a
> potential ( because my Wilwood brake mount ) to move the steering arm
> outboard but that would also require the caliper and rotor to move the
> same amount. I managed to move it all outboard ¼” and with the slight
> offset of the MGB arm, it’s almost ½” gain in reality. I bolted the
> wheels back on and it ‘seemed’ to spin freely so I took it for a drive
> and heard a slight ‘ticking’ in the wheels. It turned out that both
> wheels had a couple of stick on wheel weights on the inside and the
> calipers were just grazing the as they are about 1/8” thick. A couple
> minutes with the grinder shaved off enough and its never been a
> problem since!  I did the math back then and can’t remember exactly
> but it certainly ( on paper ) improved the ackerman
>
> Maybe I shouldn’t have cancelled my “hokanson’ front end order years
> ago but what would I do with my free time ??  lol!
>
> Jim
>
> B382000446

Guy's, It's been a long long time (early 70's) since I wrote that STOA
Tech Tip on upper A-arm relocation.  I haven't used it years because the
switch to radial tires pretty much eclipsed the advantage it showed when
running bias ply tires.  Bill Martin has been developing a  stock based
front suspension relocation of the disc and rotors outward (to give room
to bent the steering arms outward) to aid in the reduction of the
Ackerman problem, but it requires much more sophistication and new
hardware.  Doane's solution was good on the track but lacking strength
and durability for street application.

--
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC