[Tigers] Tiger Chrome Maintenance

Terry Packer packertl3 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 12:32:13 MDT 2021

First, Thank You to everyone who responded to my inquiry. Perhaps a quick R&R system for the fender scripts to enable off-the-car attention remains a bridge too far. But repeatedly removing them from the standard mounting hardware is too risky. Since the badging on my car fits tight to the body, the option of working on the chrome in-situ would require the use of an incredibly thin insert like shim stock. But I can't buy shim stock locally and sharp metal could also do damage.

I finally settled on a shim of photographic film. Depending on age and format it can be of various thicknesses but I found standard 35mm film with one row of guide holes cut off worked well. It was strong enough to force behind the lettering, soft enough to not damage anything and tough enough to withstand any type of cleaning or maintenance you might want to do - while completely protecting adjacent paint.
With a fresh coat of wax now applied, we're ready to start doing battle with the elements again!

Terry