[Tigers] Tiger eplacement carb and alternator Questions

Will Seay Tigers at embarqmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:38:16 MDT 2021

Mayf,
I got the EFI bug some time ago when I saw a series of Hagerty
Youtube videos in which a Fairlane (5-bolt) 289 was rebuilt to a 289
HiPO-ish state and then put it in Brad Phillips Tiger.  The plan was to do
the engine swap and get the engine going with a Holley 4BBL setup and then
switch the 4BBL for a Holley Sniper EFI throttle-body unit.  Brad got his
Tiger going with the 4BBL setup but, to my knowledge, never did the Sniper
install.  Brad's engine swap was recorded in a series of 12 Youtube
videos.  Here are some links:

Here's the first episode of Brad Phillips 289 engine swap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzWYRPH24Bw&list=WL&index=2&t=26s
Here's the Hagerty time-lapse video of the engine rebuild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVtrnxx3rTE&t=0s

There is a Youtube video of a dyno test of the engine with and without
EFI.  So far I haven't found a link to it.

I have been making plans to make my car "EFI-ready".  That is, I want to
have a plan for each aspect of the conversion.  Current plan is to replace
the OEM fuel pump with the high pressure pump and to house pump and pre and
post filters in the same area as previously housed the OEM pump.  I have
made up a heat shield for the right-side muffler to keep from roasting the
pump.  Fuel return line will go into the top of the right fuel tank.  I can
provide pictures of the return line fittings if you are interested.  I will
be doing my own harness.  The Holley harness is bass ackwards for a Tiger,
assuming battery up front.  Fuel relay and fuses for fuel pump and EFI will
be located with the pump.  Anticipating that the fuel pump and injectors
will want to suck more current than the OEM generator can provide, I have
done an alternator conversion.  I already have a wide band O2 sensor
installed for a PLX O2 readout so the O2 sensor is already there.  Control
of distributor advance is optional with the Sniper so I don't plan to do
opt for that initially.  Someday I would like to add it though.  Should
improve driveability and maybe performance.

Like I said, I want to make the car "EFI-ready" .  Don't know if I will
actually do the conversion, but I want to at least have it thought out so
that I can get there from here if I decide to.

Will - 382001570
Tigers at embarqmail.com