[Tigers] Clutch issue

Jerry Christopherson JCMC2006 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jul 15 17:16:36 MDT 2021

Lots of good questions Gary.  It could very well have been damaged during
installation at the factory.  I never took it apart before installing it so
don't know.  Nothing jagged at the end of the bore (but there was an issue
down there).  Yes, the peddle hits the floor before the piston bottoms out.
And I do have the spacer installed.  The part of the seal that touches the
very end of the bore is the flat end lip of the seal, it goes up against the
recuperation hole and keeps fluid from going up into the reservoir when the
peddle is pushed in and forcing all the fluid to the slave cylinder.

Here is what I "think" the issue was;   At the very bottom of the bore where
the recuperation hole is, there "was" an area that wasn't machined deep
enough to have clean machining all the way around the hole.  An area just
about the size of the inner part of the seal hadn't been machined, it was a
few thousands lower than the machining around the outside (a slight pocket
if you will). That, I think, caused the rubber seal to "buckle under" with
the very high pressure (could be over 1000psi).  If you have seen my video
of the overhaul of the brake booster you can see at the end of the video
where I put pressure gauges on the brake output and you can see the pressure
of 1500lbs from the brake master cylinder (same principle as the clutch
master).

What I did was to "grind" the bottom of the bore with a wood dowel that I
put some sand paper on the end and spun it to take the higher area around
the hole down to the hole, only a few thousands of an inch, now the seal has
a flat surface to seal against. So far its working, but we'll see.

Coolvt, how in the world did you have this problem for so long??

Jerry Christopherson

9473187

TAC Insp. #58