[Tigers] oil gauge block adaptor

Terry Lawell tlawell at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 16:07:00 MDT 2021

Ron,

  The fitting I pulled out has an NPT 1/4-18 on the block side and what
appears to be a BSPP 1/4" on the line side. I bought a 1/4-18 tap and
die from NAPA today and did some checking. The die fit on the fitting
very easily and was still easy all the way to the base. The tap actually
went into the block quite easily and then tightened towards the end of
the tap. So the conclusion was there is nothing wrong with the fitting
or the threads in the block. However, when I inserted the fitting into
the block, it would progress about 4 threads before it stopped. I took
it out and inserted a 1/4" MIP brass fitting into the block and it
tightened down after about 7 threads. I pulled it out and measured the
thread diameter at the point where it stopped. They were at about the
same diameter reading but were at different depths on the fittings. It
turns out my original fittings has a different taper than the brass
fitting as well as being much thicker at the base end. I am thinking
someone may have used an NPTF thread which gets crushed at insertion, is
very hard to extract, and cannot be used again. This would address all
of the symptoms I experienced while removing the fitting and trying to
reinsert it back into the block. I am going to order a new fitting and
see what happens.
  Thanks for doing additional research on it for me.

Cheers, Terry