[Tigers] BMR radiator

Owain Lloyd owain.lloyd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:53:25 MDT 2021

Last year my Dale A (Griffin?) radiator cracked and I replaced it with this
one from BMR in the UK:

https://www.motorsportradiators.co.uk/store/Sunbeam-Tiger-Aluminium-Radiator-p146886570

Not really used the car since except a couple of short trips.

This week I was going to take the tiger out for a run over some mountain
passes but after about 30 minutes, no traffic, it was running at well over
100C / ~230F.  I returned home and checked everything over.

1. Full of fresh Evans waterless coolant.
2. gauge is mechanical
3. horn holes blocked, along with gap between rad and crossmember.
4. fan shroud in place with 13" flex fan on water pump hub.
5. doesn't overheat at idle even when left running for 30 minutes.

I've NEVER had a problem with overheating at speed before.  the only issues
I had were at idle or in traffic / slow speed but even those had been
solved by all the above.  engine is a 490hp 347, but wasn't a problem
before.

everything is pointing at the BMR radiator just being a bit crap and not
doing as good a job as the Dale rad.  anyone running one of these?