[Tigers] 15" wheels?

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 09:52:30 MST 2021

/"Increasing total wheel/tire circumference WILL increase MPG...  More
road covered for each explosion!"/

"C/hanging rear wheels for a road trip is easier than changing the trans
or rear end gears/!"

I agree with that with these caveats. The increase comes mostly on level
or downhill roadways. Inclines can require more throttle than with
shorter tires and you are back on the other side of the "sweet spot."
RPM is not the only factor. My daily driver Mazda spins at 3,000 RPM and
gets near 35 MPG. My Studebaker with a 700R4, 225-60-16 tires and 3:07
gears spins at 1,600 RPM and gets about 17MPG. both cars at 65 MPH
freeway speeds. Yea, weight and displacement is a factor but half the
RPM gets half the mileage.

Taller tires and a Tiger with a close ratio transmission are not a good
match. Also unless one has a compensated odometer you need to do the
math to recalculate the actual mileage. A T-5 transmission over a wide
ratio Toploader will likely see little difference in city driving. If
you are driving across country for a SUNI or such you may well
appreciate the investment. But, yes, I'd say a few hundred dollars
invested in rather taller tires for a lengthy road trip is quite a
difference over $4,000-$5,000 for T-5 install. The only thing is you
need to bring your regular tires to swap out once you get there.
Everything seems to have its tradeoffs. BTW, a 13 gallon tank can also
be compensated for with a 5 gallon jug - likely the most economical
solution.