[Tigers] Engine removal/ paint questions

steve wick srwick at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 08:11:40 MST 2021

Normally I would have dived right in and got the thing running right, but had several other projects lined up before it. I finished a '69 XL convertible with my son, a '68 California Special Mustang, '73 Mach 1 and '70 Cougar XR7. The Tiger started having problems in the middle of these and I didn't want to tear another car apart in the middle of the chaos. It started with a shorted wire at the alternator conversion that was done by the previous owner. The ammeter acted like a fuse and I lost all power at 70 mph on the freeway and had to coast to the side with no signals or lights. After that, I had fuel pump issues, where the electric pump would just randomly stop running while I was driving. It would sometimes come back in a half hour, sometimes several days later, so I was afraid to drive very far from home. Changing pumps didn't make a difference. The last 10 years or so, I've had two moves for jobs, 5 surgeries, and now a move for retirement, and I haven't spun a wrench except for maintenance, so the Tiger just sat. Now I'm ready to put in a new wiring harness with proper fuses and get this thing running like it should.

Steve