[Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft

R Flynn flynnr2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:08:53 MDT 2020

UPDATE & some additional questions after a 6 week hiatus for bruised ribs
to heal ...
- Put car up on stands, dropped oil pan
- No retaining clip to be found on oil pump driveshaft or in pan
  (either never there or fractured & came out with a previous oil change
perhaps)
- New, beefier shaft *with* retaining clip appropriately placed (& new
gasket) installed
- Buttoned everything back up, distributor straightforward to install now,
found TDC in preparation for retiming, etc.
  (FelPro 1 piece oil pan gasket w/snap screws makes things convenient,
nice bit of design)

Turned key, and got a big click sounding like starter is under load but
certainly not spinning ... hence the following questions

1) Any suggestions as to cause?
- Battery is fully charged, just came off conditioner
- Solenoid is less than 2Y old
- The starting system electrics were working fine before this adventure
began

2) Is it easier to just pull the oil pan again or get the starter out (vs
headers)?
- It won't come out with headers & oil pan in situ
- I am working with in up on floor stands, creeper height in a narrow
garage space
- *Since* I just pulled the oil pan, that seems like the most efficient
route (and I suspect the FelPro gasket will be fine)
- Plus another gift from the previous builder is a sheared off (small) oil
pan bolt on the front port corner (just next to the larger end bolt) that I
really should Easy Out, will be easier with oil pan removed (was leaving it
for another day ...)

3) Any recommendations on whether one of those  "mini starters" would be a
good replacement & easier to get in / out without having to remove engine
mounts, headers, or oil pans etc?
- DaleA put a Tremec TKO 5 speed in a few years ago for context

Cheers in advance,

Rick