[Tigers] Tiger Clocks

Brian Glenn ora_archy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 22:03:03 MDT 2020

I mentioned earlier that I am preparing an article for CAT Tiger Tales regarding Tiger clocks and clock aperture motifs.I have several preliminary conclusions that I wanted to run past the group before committing the findings to print.
1) There is no such animal as a Smiths 3030 clock.I've been searching for anyone that can tell me different and/or show me an example.
I've checked with the current owners of Smiths instruments and the folks at Nisonger.Smiths tells me there is a gap in model numbers and picks up at 3100.Nisonger referenced Smiths 3131/01 for all Tiger models.
2) A 1967 Nisonger catalog and the Tiger parts supplement both indicate a single model of clock for all Tiger models.

Nisonger references Smiths 3131/01 and Rootes #1235813 which is not in either the Tiger or Alpine parts catalogs.
Rootes catalogs 6601131 and 6601334 both list a Tiger "clock kit" as Rootes #1229322.
If there is a 3030 clock in your collection, please pass on a photo and any provenance information, e.g. it came with the car new, etc.
Seems like this issue has remained unanswered for the last 50 years.I'd like to put it to rest if possible, but want to get it right.There's enough bad information out there already.
Cheers,Brian
Brian Glenn
 P.O. Box 578
 Julian, CA 92036-0578