[Tigers] Looking for seat recliner handle

phastphill at aol.com phastphill at aol.com
Mon May 20 11:15:12 MDT 2019

great idea.....well done

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Winblad via Tigers <tigers at autox.team.net>
To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980 at gmail.com>; Ron Fraser <rfraser at bluefrog.com>; Tigers Den <Tigers at autox.team.net>
Sent: Thu, May 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Looking for seat recliner handle

 Nice job Joe!

 This should be saved on Tigersunited site..  or somewhere accessible.

 Gary

 On 5/16/2019 9:41 AM, Joe Brown via Tigers wrote:

Hi Ron,
  I never heard back from anybody, so I decided to try and make my own.  I got some EasyCast epoxy and Amazing Mold Rubber from Michael's craft and hobby store.  They always have coupons on line and I got 50% off the stuff I bought.  I also had to buy a little bottle of black dye but I got it at another hobby place.  I used a small piece of PVC pipe I had laying around to to cast the mold in.  It didn't appear that the original plastic handle would slide off very easily so I decided to mold the new one right on the metal.  I attached the original lever (with the plastic handle) to a dial gauge mount that I have so that the plastic part was as straight as possible in the PVC.
   I then followed the directions to mix up the molding rubber and poured it into the PVC around the handle.  I think it had to setup for a day or two and then I carefully pulled the original lever out.  The next step was using my jig to suspend the metal lever (without the plastic handle) into the center of the rubber mold.  You have to be careful to get the handle part of the lever straight because the rest of the lever is shaped differently than the other one.  Then I mixed up the epoxy with the black dye and poured it into the mold.  I let that sit for about three days and then pulled it out.  I think it came out pretty good.  Of course it duplicates any marks that are on the original handle. In the picture below the original is the one with the painted metal and the new one is  on top.

  It's a pricey way to get a new plastic handle, but what are you going to do?  I already had the epoxy and I just had to buy the mold rubber and dye.  So I think I have a little over $20 in the project.  I can loan you the mold if you want to give it a try.
  The mold rubber is currently $24 at Michael's, https://www.michaels.com/default/10324147.html#q=amazing%20mold%20rubber&start=1  .  But they have coupons every week.  Hobby Lobby has the dye for $5.99, https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Clay-Molding-Sculpting/Casting/Black-Casting-Dye---1-Ounce/p/23886. Both places have the EasyCast epoxy.
  Let me know if you want to borrow the mold.  I had to take it out of the PVC so I could flex it enough to get the new handle out but it can stand on its own.
  Regards, Joe Brown