[Tigers] Tigers n Dollies

Capt HB - Yahoo harryb at elams.org
Sun May 6 01:00:51 MDT 2018

Terry,
  I have flat towed for years without issue. However on the advice of Dan Williams the Toploader guru in NC, I took the top off my spare X-mission to determine what may not be getting lubricated. I found the first bearing from the input shaft was not below the gear oil level and was only getting splash lubricated. For short tows you can stop every 75 miles or so and run the engine so the input gear provides the “splash.” For longer tows, I added pipe fittings to the gear oil fill hole on the passenger side of the tunnel. This allows me to add 1-2 its of gear oil and keep that bearing lubricated. When I get to my destination I drain that oil and refill with the proper amount. In 30 years of flat towing I have never had a problem.

  So, on your dolly, with the transmission at an even more severe angle you could tow with the rear wheels on the dolly or remove the drive shaft. I fear starting the engine every few miles may not work with the gear oil level cat that angle.

  Good luck.

Harry Elam
B382000471