[Tigers] My Tiger and I are in an Epic Struggle...

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Wed Sep 27 18:31:31 MDT 2017

Seems like everything I touch on the car develops some kind of issue.  I got
it running with the old Ford Carb and even with a rebuild kit, the accel
pump failed. So Put on an old Holley 2bbl race carb I had lying about and
like the Ford carb refused to play nicely. After the rebuild, and it had sat
for a long while so I took great care in the rebuild, it failed to stop the
fuel flow when the bowl was full.  Interspersed with this was a honey do
project of re-grouting some floor tile joints.  We live on an old lake bed
and even with an artificial alluvial fan to build on, floors and concrete
still cracks. Life in the desert.  But back to the carb. I swapped a pile of
needle and seats into that carb and nothing worked, but this morning I
surfed onto a fix it page for Holley carbs and found the solution. Well, not
quite but close. It had to be the needle and seat even though I tried
several. So off with the carb! Remove the fuel bowl and holy cow. The float
would touch the top of the bowl and still not shut off the fuel. After
staring at it for maybe 10 seconds, I decided that the float arm had somehow
become bent. Adjusted the arm to put the float into a "basic" starting
position, and then screwed in the needle and seat. This time it could touch
the float arm and actually worked! Another holy cow! Turned the bowl upside
down to let the float close the needle and blew into the inlet and I turned
blue trying. No leaky.. all back together and it works. But, the car won't
let me win quite yet. It is getting way too much fuel now. Dang. So I
decided that I need some new main jets.  Now I need to remove the carb again
and remove the bowl and remove the jets and see that number they are. Then
will get some a couple of sizes smaller and them maybe one more set 1 size
smaller than those.  As it turns out, the car has mostly spent it's entire
life within the near confines of sea level. I tis not at sea level now. 2700
feet up so I guess I should have anticipated that. But I am an EFI kinda guy
now, lol. SO I missed that.  I have a complete EFI set up that may inhabit
the engine compartment soon, lol. So while messing with starting and
fiddling with the car, I noticed a growing puddle of oil on the shop floor.
Wha?  SO I started looking around by the oil filter, it is the OEM stock set
up, and found that the hose that connects to the oil filter aluminum piece
underneath side is very oily. I suspect that it has s**t the bed. Another
little gotcha. Now I ask, any of you folk replaced the OEM lines with
braided SS lines? If so were you able to find adapters for the block fitting
from inverted flare to AN sizes? I like that OEM block adapter because I tis
so flat and skinny. Race car has a Canton unit that I ground a lot off of
and made an plate that bolts onto the head to hold the oil filter adapter
there. So I could steal that, but I'd rather have as much OEM as I can
without overspending the national debt.

Any help from you all on what you did to solve this issue?

And then there is the soon to happen install of rack booties. Watched a vid
on how to do that without removing the tie rod ends from the rack tie rods.
Was actually a very  slick process.

Anyway, hope ya'll  have some ideas and experiences with oil filter hoses,
adapters and such. Listening for ya.

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.