[Tigers] Frozen distributor

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Thu May 25 11:11:22 MDT 2017

Here is a totally different but similar issue with distributors.  My first
car was my Alpine.  I got it when I was in high school and drove it for
years, including through college.  I always thought I'd give it more power
when I had money.  Then came law school and the car sat for 3 years.  After
law school, I bought myself a newer, admittedly more powerful car (a used
911).  I drove that for a couple years.  Then decided it was time to get
the Alpine going again and possibly restore it.  It was nice to be back in
it.  But compared to the 911, it just didn't seem to have much power.  So
that helped make my decision to hop up the Alpine.  I got a special Holbay
H120 high flow head, Holbay H120 rally cam, dual side draft Webers, custom
55 over pistons, lightened flywheel etc.  Then came time to pay attention
to the distributor and recurve it to work with the different engine.  What
did I find?  The dang advance weights were rusted stuck on the plate!!!!
That meant that the reason my car was feeling so down on power was not
because I was comparing it to the 911.  It was because I wasn't getting any
advance.  Ugh.  Had I noticed that before pulling the trigger on the hipo
engine, I may never have gone that route.