[Tigers] Follow up to My Steering Wheel Adapter Woes...

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Tue May 9 16:21:36 MDT 2017

There are at least two ways to fix my issue. One is simple but as I
mentioned makes the expander bolt useless for returning to OEM.  The other
is adding a short collar to space out the horn button. A third alternative
is to obtain a sacrificial expander bolt and modifying it by adding a few
threads and shortening it. Another fix is to cut the adapter beneath the
steering wheel attachment flange and adding a short piece there and welding
it in. It is cast aluminum though. I think.

I have looked all though the shop and found a heavy way aluminum pipe piece
that is almost the right size to be slightly machined to fit. Notice I said
almost the right size: bummer.  I have looked on ebay and for the life of me
have found no expander bolts even though I have in the last week or so found
some somewhere online.  So, le tme now ask the collective wisdom and
experience of the Tiger list, where do I get a sacrificial expander bolt?
Were the Alpines using the same arrangement? If so, does anyone know where I
might procure one and or have one to sell? If the price is right, lol.  Even
though I have to disassemble the column to get the piece out it may be the
cleanest method of all to make the fitment work.

So any help out there? A link to one or one for sale would be great.  I
would owe ya an RC Cola and Moon Pie. I may have a moon pie in the shop
fridge.

Fingers crossed, awaiting hopefully good news!

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile