[Tigers] Intake coolant

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Wed Mar 1 10:05:35 MST 2017

AOL EmailYes, in day to day driving the heated intake manifold helps to keep fuel droplets in a vapor state. Obviously in colder weather this is even more practical. This can both increase mileage and improve emissions.  However, it would seem to not help keep the intake cooler (as in the mentioned south) unless the ambient outside air temperature was over 180+ degrees! Some engines simply use the intake manifold as a “crossover” passage between the cylinder heads for coolant flow to balance the heat in the engine.  A lot of engines also run exhaust gases under the center of the intake (under the carburetor) for the same purpose. These are basic statements about a engines in general regarding a heated intake manifold and not the small block Ford in particular.

  Your intake manifold is likely an “air gap” style.  While a heated intake is practical for reasons stated above..., it is not the best design for outright performance. A cooler intake condenses the air and puts more of it into the engine, thus increasing performance. The air gap design isolates the intake runners from any coolant, exhaust cross over gasses and even the heat from oil under the intake manifold in most “V” style engines.  If you are noticing no difference be thankful. You have likely gained some performance advantage without suffering the corresponding problems that can potential arise.