[Tigers] MKII Alternator

Tom Parker tkparker1941 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:22:41 MST 2017

Richard,

I just bought a replacement alternator for mine. The original read @ 30
amps on the test stand, the new one is rated at @ 60. I'll leave it to the
engineers for specifics, but I think they're load driven. That is, the more
amps required the more amps provided. The new alternators I found ('67
Mustang; basically the same (with the exception of the Field Isolation
relay) were all @ 60 amps.

The Kitty had a nasty habit of not producing enough to drive the headlights
for a prolonged period; I have no idea if the issue was / is with the
battery or the alternator / Voltage Regulator, but the VR is new. (the
battery is @ 4 years old; an Optima, for what it's worth. and the car has
less than @ 1,000 miles on it since the battery was replaced.) No ammeter
on the car; I installed a volt meter in its place; it reads a consistent
14v.

The new alternator goes in when the car is back from paint. I don't
normally drive it at night, but it helps to be able...

Tom
'67 Mark 2