[Tigers] STEERING WHEEL

Jerry Mo Christopherson JCMC2006 at suddenlink.net
Wed Apr 12 11:45:18 MDT 2017

When I did my wheel (15years ago) I had to remove that “dark line” that is a 3/16 square piece of plastic.  My wheel was broken in eight places so I  had to  completely disassemble the whole wheel.  The first problem was how to get the old inlay out,  my solution was to use a heat gun to warm the plastic and wood just enough to allow the adhesive to release.  It all came out without breaking any of the very fragile wood.  After I cleaned and reglued  (I used Titebond III) the wood back together I had the problem of the 3/16” trough.  Trying to find a 3/16” piece of plastic or whatever seemed an impossible feat.  So this is what I did.   After the glue had set for a week or two I leveled the wheel so it was perfectly level, I then sprayed a light coating of the clear paint I was using on the car (clear coating)  to seal the wood.  I then used a hypodermic syringe and  filled it with black paint (I used BASF Glasurit 21 black) and carefully filled the trough about halfway, I let that set for about a week.  I then started to apply high solids clearcoat (spraying) allowing to dry (cure) then sanding and smoothing all but the top of the black strip, I did this about 13 times.  The last coats were enough to completely fill the trough, so the top is now perfectly smooth (after sanding and polishing), and there isn’t a big build up on the rest of the wheel.  Now mind you this took three months to do.  BUT, it looks as good today as it did when I finished it.  No breaks or cracks of any kind.  I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Jerry Christopherson

9473187

TAC insp #58