[Tigers] voltage regulator- Don's suggestions

Theo Smit tsmit at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 23 22:55:38 MDT 2016

When I originally got my Tiger in 1998, the PO's mechanic had screwed the stabilizer into the back of the (wooden) dash panel, with the predictable result that the gauges read high especially when the gauge level was high. I then attached the stabilizer to the dash mounting rail as originally intended but this still didn't give consistent response, so then I went to a solid state  regulator and really haven't looked back since. The IC I use in the ones I and Tom sell is the LM2940, which is designed for automotive use and has built in protection for a variety of common automotive electrical transients. In addition I put in a low voltage detector that turns on a LED when the voltage gets below about 12.6 volts, so that the one wire alternator conversions would still get a status indication.

I'm sure that Joe P put at least as much thought into the stabilizer he sells and I think either one will do exactly what you need.

Cheers,
Theo