[Tigers] guage needle paint

Smit, Theo Theo.Smit at garmin.com
Mon Sep 12 09:12:58 MDT 2016

Stepper motor or quadrature coil driven gauges actively drive the needle to a given angle on the gauge, so they are not that sensitive to the needle weight. However, our old-school tachometer only expects to drive against the torsion spring in the needle movement, and its linearity across the scale depends on being properly counterbalanced. If you put on extra paint without adjusting the counterbalance then the tach will start to read low at idle and high at the redline.

Theo