[Tigers] MkII VINs

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Sat Jul 16 09:31:27 MDT 2016

Not sure if this post goes through... (to the list) , the past few haven’t.

It would seem logical that there were a number of Mk 1A’s that were the pre-production prototypes for the Mk 2.  And, it would seem logical that most eventually found their way into some form of a general sale – even if only to Rootes employees.  Thus, the question is, would they have been sold as Mk 1A’s or completely updated to Mk 2’s? I’m doubting the latter based on the alterations needed to hide the beltline trim holes to convert Mk 1A to a Mk 2 (as one point among potentially many). If not updated visually (but were mechanically) it would seem at least plausible that a few Mk 1A’s were equipped with 289’s - even if they were not sold through the typical dealership method.   The potential Mk 1A/289 would likely not have been at the end of the Mk 1A run, but at whatever point the Mk 2 prototype development was started.

Another potential scenario would regard Rootes not having enough 260’s at the end of the Mk 1A run.  Thus using available 289’s that were either bought for Mk 2 prototypes, or waiting in the wings for the Mk 2. It would be interesting to know the number of 260’s ordered/shipped and the number of Mk 1, 1A’s produced. Also a factor would be the 260’s set aside for development/testing and warranty replacement (if any).

I’m not trying to create an Urban Legend nor support the Mk 1A 289. I’m only postulating the potential for it to have happened as I obviously have produced no evidence.  With that in mind I’d be happy to see evident that refutes the above concept and closes the door for thinking in that direction.