[Tigers] Dipstick and oil level report

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Tue Oct 20 13:42:19 MDT 2015

I set up a fixture - 289 oil pan, timing cover and oil pump with pick up

I used my 260 Tiger dipstick and tube.    The end of this dipstick is about
1/2" off the bottom of the oil pan.

Leveled fixture front to back, side to side

2qt - level is at ADD line
3qt - level is 1/4" below FULL line
4qt - level is at the top L of FULL

Tiger oil lines hold about 4 oz

I calculated the volume for oil filters - actual fluid measurements probably
vary
Fram PH8A = 49.214 cu in = 27.27 oz = 1.7 pt    ( 1.7 + .25 = 1.95 pt)
almost 1qt
Fram PH3600 = 34.289 cu in = 18.99 oz = 1.18 pt

I measured the angle of my Tiger engine at 2 degrees tilted down at front
I measured the angle of my 1988 Mustang engine at 4 degrees tilted down at
back

Tilt test
2 degree front        3qt - level is at FULL line
                            4qt - level is 1/16" below Ford logo oval

5 degree back    3qt - level is 1/4" above ADD line or just below mid line
                        4qt - level is 1/8" below FULL line

I never think the tilt of the engine would mean so much but there you have
it - Tilt means everything with respect to the dipstick.

Ron Fraser