[Tigers] Tiger oil capacity w/non-stock filter

Philip Hulse ross_hulse at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 5 23:07:59 MDT 2015

Dr. Mayf

Is 10 pints UK or US?  It makes quart of difference. :>)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Larry Mayfield via Tigers" <tigers at autox.team.net>
Date:Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Subject:Re: [Tigers] Tiger oil capacity w/non-stock filter

I probably should have my head examined for this, but here goes.  The workshop manual says 10 pints of oil including filter for the 260. The 289 spec is 11.4 pints including filter and cooler.   If you really want to be that precise, then remove the oil pan, which is relatively easy to do and it probably needs cleaning anyway, then pour in 4 qts of oil and measure the depth from the pan flange. Then measure the dipstick from the an rail on the block to determine how far it sticks down.  Better yet is to simply drain the pan and then pour in 3 qts of oil on a clean dipstick. Remove the dipstick and mark that level as the add 1 qt position. Use a small center punch to mark the Dip Stick. Then add another qt of oil and remove and check the DS. Mark that position as the full mark.  The ford filter of choice in those days was the Fram PH8A or Motorcraft unit which was probably made in the same plant. They hold 1 qt of oil.  When you change your oil and
 filter using either of these and if you have the remove filter which is vertical and bolted to the driver’s side head, then prefill the filter before putting the oil lines back on. And then add only 4 qts to the pan. No dry starts that way. Ditto if you are using the 90 degree adapter only on the side of the block. If using a short filter, prefill one and see just how much oil it takes. Or just go ahead and put the full remaining oil into the motor. The level will not be significantly higher in the pan. A qt of oil is about 58 cubic inches and on a pan sump which is about 9 x 10 inches or so that is only a depth of 0.64 inches. And a whole lot more than that will be hung up in the motor when operating so added oil is good anyway. Runs cooler (well, a bit anyway).

This really is easy to figure out.

Can we move on, this horse has been completely beaten to death, skinned  hide tanned and turned into a saddle.

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile