[Tigers] Stock 260 Camshafts' Limits

Jim McLaughlin jimmc13 at socket.net
Fri Jun 19 07:05:20 MDT 2015

Robert:
Fly cutting the intake pistons is just one item in performance options for a tiger.  If you have flat top pistons and you wish some horsepower evaluate and consider the following:
1.    For almost any high lift cam you will have to fly cut flat top pistons.  Your engine builder (or You) will have to check clearance BEFORE you run the engine anyway, and then fly cut the piston tops.
2.    The rocker arm studs on the 260 were pressed in, if you are strengthening the engine switch to threaded rocker arm studs, this is a must do or you will wreck the engine.
3.    Obtain the old book Performance Tuning your Sunbeam Tiger, it contains the information you need to be successful.

My ’66 Tiger has around 300 horses, 9.5-1 compression ratio, threaded rocker studs with roller rocker arms, high performance cam with racing hydraulic lifters, so it can work for you.  I installed other mods to help with cooling etc. But I retained dual point distributor and standard ignition.  The car starts like it is fuel injected.

Jim McLaughlin
B382000175LRXFE