[Tigers] Axle removal process.

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:46:53 MDT 2015

Dearest technical support community of ever present knowledge and wisdom,

I am desperate. I left my binder of shop notes at, well, my other
shop. It would probably contain my answer, but they are out of reach
at the moment. Before I tell you how far I have gotten unsuccessfully,
and to what level of drama, I will beg for advice.

Can somebody please outline the basic steps of removing the stock
axles and differential from with in a factory Tiger rear end housing?
I have never done it on a Tiger. Ultimately all I want to do is get
the posi unit and gears out. Here is what I understand:

The axles have to come out first. To get the axles out, the hubs have
to come off, correct? I am familiar with the exploded diagrams showing
the basic components of the Tiger axle shafts and hub assembly. The
axle shaft is a tapered end and the hub is pressed-on, so after the
retaining nut and washer is removed, removing the hub with a hub
puller tool that applies force by pulling outward on the hub, and
pushing inward on the end-dimple of the axle centerline should draw
the hub off correct? Can the proposed hub puller tool anchor to the
lug studs?

This rear end came out of MK1a that had rust issues. But has a nice
posi unit and set of 3.31's. I really want it out...

please be gentle and thank you for your help.

Cullen
Alpine 260 '1452
Yukon