[Tigers] FW: motorsport x 302 crate motor

Mark Rense mark44124 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 07:03:20 MDT 2015

Nick, as an engine builder I have seen a general deterioration of component
quality in the after market as more manufacturers outsource. Lifters are
one of those components, I stopped using CompCams because I've had bad
hydraulic lifters from them more than once. You could have a bad hyd.
lifter or bad roller rocker.

Piston scuffing at low miles is caused by clearance issues combined with
heat and/or lack of lube.  I would be very suspicious of the pan clearance
and your oil pickup location/screen since you have had two separate
incidents. Scuff marks on the piston's edges or corners of the thrust side
is probably bore distortion. If it is scuffed on both sides then lube is
the main suspect, check the piston wrist pin as it may have seized.

The Ford 302 you bought is a rebuild, not a fresh block or rotating
assembly, and you are not the the first to have issues with one of these.
Their strokers and race engines are built in-house, I'll bet the 340hp 302
is not.

I've got three 5-bolt 289 blocks left. How about a nice drop-in 331?

Bugz