[Tigers] Tigers Part Advice Engine Parts

Bill Lawrence billlawrence at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:06:22 MDT 2015

Greetings Tigers,
Finally dug in on changing a slowly leaking water pump on my 65 Sunbeam Tiger.  The plan was to retire the original radiator at the same time.  The original radiator seems to be in remarkably good shape after 50 years thanks in part to an inline gano filter. I decided to invest in the direct replacement Griffin aluminum from Summit and shrink wrap the original rad, saving it for another day.  The Aluminum water pump from Sunbeam Specialities and all new hoses plus a new belt are ready to go.
I ended up successfully removing the fan, shroud, radiator, all water pump bolts except for one that secures through timing cover.  Naturally it snapped in half. Trying to ease it out put up a fight so off comes the pulley and then the harmonic balancer and eventually with a little persussion the timing cover.  The remaining bolt section was removed by hand - ugh. Unfortunately, there were a few casualties along the way.
The dip stick probably had a split tube and it broke where it enters the timing cover.  As far as I can tell Ford PN   C2OZ 6754 A*  62-65  DIP STICK TUBE W/GENERATOR V8  or from the Rootes supplemental PN C20Z-67s4-A would be a Ford original part number.
The harmonic balancer (once again from the rootes supplemental pn C40Z-6316-A) has that Knackered look with a lot of cracks in the rubber (this was replaced last century around 1992).
For what it's worth, I ordered a timing cover gasket kit (Felpro) from Rock Auto. It includes a pan front seal and little corner gaskets so I hopefully won't have to drop the pan to seal her up.
So, I am looking for some quality replacements for the dipstick tube and a harmonic balancer.
Would anyone have information on suitable stock type replacements, part numbers, cross reference parts from other models such as the Ford Fairlane or any other advice (such as timing cover/h2o pump bolt torque numbers) putting the front end of my engine and the cooling system back together?
Once again, thanks for all the great Tiger list info.
Sincerely,
Bill LawrenceB9473246LRXFt. Lauderdale FLA USA