[Tigers] Tiger Short Shifter and Alternatives

Cullen1972 cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 05:52:41 MST 2014

I agree with mark on what little experience I have with them. I have a hurst
competition plus correct shifter on my replica 427 cobra with its wide ratio
toploader.  It has a non functional reverse lockout. The t handle is spring
loaded and slides but it's not required to enter reverse. You don't miss it
though,  The detent is so strong you have to be very assertive and intentional
to find reverse. I got it from Dan Williams ands VERY nice. It was also
uncomfortably expensive at the time.

On another note,  in the t5 and late model mustang world and other modern car
world, short throw shifters actually describe the range of the mechanism below
the fulcrum of the shifter. Typically I believe due to the revised geometry
the shifting effort it's self is slightly increased at the expense of a
shorter throw between gears. Yes the handle on the shifter itself is indeed
shorter but if I'm not mistaken the "throw "being shorter is actually
describing the leverage that occurs below the fulcrum between the bottom of
the shifter and the shift forks on that style of transmission.

 I am not sure how that equates to top loaders and externally shifted
transmissions but I was always taught that a short throw shifter is not the
same thing as a shifter with a shorter handle. FWIW

Cullen

Sent from my iPhone.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/cobra_engine_parts/cobra-shifter-handle