[Tigers] Tiger Short Shifter and Alternatives

jay.laifman at gmail.com jay.laifman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:04:33 MST 2014

I'm confused. How does a shortshifter make 3rd a longer reach?  Is it a bend in the shifter and no bend in the shifter?

From: "Mark Rense" <mark44124 at gmail.com>
Sender: tigers-bounces at autox.team.netDate: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 21:53:16
To: <tigers at autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Short Shifter and Alternatives

Rob,
One of my Tigers has the Hurst Competition-Plus control box/linkage using
the 289 Cobra shifter. This shifter is shorter than the standard Tiger
shifter although I'm not sure if it is the same as the official Tiger "short
shifter".

PROS
The short shifter/Hurst combo requires some adjustment to your driving
habits but once you learn it and its short throws it is a lot of fun, if
you've ever driven a S2000 it's almost that good. The down side is when I
get into the other Tiger with the standard Toploader shifter it feels like
I'm shifting a truck.

CONS
The short shifter is a longer reach, so it may not be good for your arm
length, and the short shifter knob restricts your right knee movement when
in 2nd and 4th gear, something you only notice when droning along on long
freeway trips.

You can still buy this Hurst/Cobra shifter combination, either from David
Kee Toploaders or from Dan William's Toploader Transmissions. There may be
others who sell this but I trust these guys.

Note that the Hurst system does not use a reverse lock-out, just a strong
detent.

http://4speedtoploaders.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/cobrashifters.html

http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/contact.html

The 289 Cobra shifter is also available for standard Toploader linkage but
the reverse lock-out Tee-handle on the Cobra re-pop shifters is
non-functional, so you'd have to deal with that issue.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/cobra_engine_parts/cobra-shifter-handle
s-transmission-driveline/shifter-handle-289-top-loader

Bugz

tigers at autox.team.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums