[Tigers] Short Sh(r)ift

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Thu Jan 23 16:33:55 MST 2014

Wow, that is a lot!  The early Tigers came with short shifters.  Mine's the
101st and it is short.  I think shift length is all about where you prefer
to position your seat, the length of your arm and where you are expecting it
to be when you grab for it.  My Tiger is not running, but I mocked up me
seat years ago and determined the short shifter was too far forward for me.
I'm 6 feet tall and long waisted. I also prefer to sit back with my legs out
(I loved my 240Z for that!).  Planning for the future I purchased a Galaxy
(I believe bench seat) shift for about $15.

 The plan is to cut it to a preferred fitment.  Then carefully weld the
segments back together hoping to not fill the inner tube with weld.  The
reverse lock out cable I recall just brazes to the piece on the end.  Thus,
that part just requires cutting the cable to size and redoing it.  I would
just advise anyone trying something like this to test any alterations all
the way through.  When I put my 2.3 Turbo/T-5 in my Pinto the Turbo Coupe
shifter was all wrong (for me).  However, when I got the knob of the shifter
where it seemed I wanted it..., the actually motion (leverage) was all wrong
for the car to shift properly.  It took a bit of "fiddling" to get the
leverage and position to where both were co-existing with each other - and
with me.

Tom