[Tigers] Wiper Motor Follow-Up

Tom Parker tkparker1941 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 16:00:58 MDT 2014

>From my old issue of C.A.T. Shop Notes (if you don't have it, recommend you
get a copy; it's just been updated...)  "First, the switch on the dashboard
is installed upside down. That is, connector lug 1 is at the bottom, where
for all the other switches it is at the top. Second, the element of control
is the ground... the green wire to the motor is hot any time the key is on.
The dashboard switch completes the wiper circuit by taking it to ground"
(the motor is insulated from the frame; the ground is completed by the
wiring...T)

"Finally, and most perverse, one of those leads,  RG powers the High Speed
circuit; only when you connect it with the other lead, NLG, do you get Low
Speed.(if you power NLG alone, with suitable grounding, it merely hums.) To
get Low Speed, both NLG and RG must receive power along with a suitable
ground.

To make this installation, position the switch connector 1 down (upside
down) and the bat handle up, then wire it as follows: Ground lug 6 to the
side of the Tach, B; connect NLG to 4, and put RG on 1.."

There's more; this is the gist of it.  Try it with the wiper blades off the
lugs. The wiring diagram doesn't show the upside down switch, C.A.T.'s
Tiger Under-Dash Wiring illustration does.

Key point: the motor is wired thusly to allow the wipers to move to rest
regardless of when you turn the switch off. So there may be a problem with
the internal "at rest" switch, or the dash switch may be upside down... or
there may be another bug.. (or 2... and I need to revisit my motor / wiring
on my Kitty; it doesn't have the "gusto" I'd like to see... Good Hunting!)

Tom
'67 Mark 2

Mis-spellings and bad punctuation are because I don't type well...