[Tigers] Wiper Motor Replacement

Alex Haugland ahauglan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:38:10 MDT 2014

Removing the entire system for a Lucas wiper motor can be fiddly.  I
generally find it easiest to remove the motor and drive cable separately
from the wiper wheelboxes and tubes.  Remove the wiper arms first, then
undo the nut holding the tube to the wiper motor. Detach the wiring then
remove the bolts holding the bracket to the car and work the bracket
free, pulling the worm drive cable free from the tube.  The wheelboxes
are held to the car by the chromed nut mounted below the wiper arm
pinning the shaft for the wheelbox between the external chrome
escutcheon and an internal plastic escutcheon.  Once free, with the
chrome escutcheons removed, the wheelboxes can be poked through the
scuttle.   If you can't work the wheelboxes out from under the dash past
the demister pipes, wiring, etc., you can separate them into sections by
loosening the two screws for the retaining plates on each wheelbox until
you can slide the tubes out and take it out in sections.
If you don't need to service the wheelboxes but just the motor, then
leave the wheelboxes in the car and feed the new cable back into the
tube when you reinstall the motor.  If the teeth are worn on the
wheelboxes, you can turn them around 180 degrees after you pull the
motor out and then when you reassemble, you'll be using previously
untouched teeth for the 120 degrees or so of wiper motion.   When you
reinstall, put a bit of fresh grease on the worm drive cable to
lubricate it and the wheelboxes.

I recently disassembled my car pulling the whole wiper assembly, but as
I was taking the car completely apart, I don't remember what was in the
way before I got started.  I know I had the dash out (and thus the
glovebox) when I did it, which made it really easy to see what was going
on and may have already pulled the demister vents as well.

--Alex Haugland
B9470334LRXFE