[Tigers] Odd advice from Edlebrock

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Thu Jun 20 13:02:28 MDT 2013

Well, I would want a bit more info before I waded deep into this.
However, did the tech know you were dealing with a non EFI system?  If
so then on to the next item. Don't want to advance the dizzy because
*you think there is a risk it will ping*?  This is not a terribly
complicated issue, changing the spark advance. Pull the vac hose to the
dizzy, plug the hose so it does not leak air into the manifold or carb
and change the timing by a couple of degrees.  Mark where it was first.
Put vacuum hose on and give it a ride to see how the AFR is doing.  If
unsuccessful, put it back.   I think I would look for a vacuum leak
somewhere although running rich (and that isn't really rich at all, bet
power is at approximately 12.5:1),  would seem to indicate that not much
of an air leak.  I seem to remember that the power valve was not removed
during the float and jet change operations.  Why not?  They have a
diaphragm and spring that permits them to open at some preset manifold
vacuum level to add to the main jet flow.  If there was one in the
repair kit, might want to change to that new one.   And if the
secondaries, vacuum or mechanical?, are open a tad then that might cause
a high idle which someone might correct with the primary  idle air
screws or the throttle setting screw.    And if the floats are set too
high wont that permit more fuel to enter the bowls and cause some over
flow making it richer also?

I think your main jets are a bit too big...

It has been a long long time since I fiddled with a carb however....

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile