[Tigers] Headlights

Marc James Small marcsmall at comcast.net
Tue Dec 31 22:27:01 MST 2013

At 07:14 PM 12/31/2013, Wally Menke wrote:
 >Hi Owain
 >
 >My first car in 1973 was a 1960 VW Beatle with 6V electrics. If you want to
 >know about bad head lights at night and in the rain, this is as challenging
 >as it gets.

I had a number of 6v VW's over the years, the
first in 1970.  I would replace the 6v generator
with a 12v and then install a relay between the
generator output and the fuse box.  Worked fine
for me!  Of course, you had to replace all of
lightbulbs and the windshield wiper motor, but otherwise it worked just fine.

I learned to drive on a 6v 1960 VW ragtop in San
Francisco and driving a car with 6v headlamps
through a peasoup fog taught me a lot about defensive driving!

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!