[Tigers] Hard Top Trim

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Thu Sep 27 08:12:31 MDT 2012

Tod
	I assembled my hardtop back in 1999 just before driving to SUNI, Big
Sky, Montana.  I hoped I would be helping a friend with his hardtop this
summer and document these procedures but that did not happen.  With faded
memories of how I assembled my hardtop I will relate procedures as best I
can.

Rear window trim

	I believe the easiest way to do this is to assemble everything
before installing the window onto the hardtop.  Place the rubber molding on
the Plexiglas, insert the trim into the rubber molding, insert window
assembly onto the hardtop.

Note: The Shop Manual indicates the use of "Seelastik" sealing compound
during this assembly.

You can Google Seelastik and it appear to be a common product still
available or use a window sealer of your choice.

	I don't remember what I used.  I do remember a water falls at the
center of the rear window during my trip to Big Sky.  I don't recall if I
put some additional sealer there or if during the trip the heat and
vibrations made it seal.

	You can install the window trim after the window is installed; it
may take 2 people to get it into the rubber molding.   The Shop Manual does
not mention installing the trim but I'm guessing Seelastik is use some here
also.

2 rear window trim clips

	I like the article by Stu; I'll have to explore his Z clip idea to
hold them in place.

Originally the clips tuck down between the weatherstrip and the hardtop and
I sure Seelastik was used to hold them in place.
	I reshaped the clips to go around and grip the trim slightly.  This
is a long a frustrating procedure but it can be done.  I then used some Dumb
Dumb, 3M black rope seal, to hold the clips to the weatherstrip and the
trim.  They have not budged since install.

	I'm still recalling about the hardtop side trim.  I'll have to go
look at my hardtop and ponder that one some more, then get back to you.

	This is where documenting disassembly and taking pictures is so
critical.  I know there are tricks to doing all of this, recalling them is
the hard part now.

	I recommend to all working on Sunbeam parts; take pictures during
both disassembly and assembly, write down detailed notes of what your doing
and how your doing it, be the forensic analyst for any part.

Ron Fraser