[Tigers] Door handles

Rollright at aol.com Rollright at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 12:00:37 MDT 2012

I've been in your situation for as long as I've owned my Tiger; 36  years

Best example is the gas cap assy.   Both are 'pot metal' and it  gets gets
pimples over the years. These pimples need to be "drilled" out  and then
filled typically with silver solder. Then the whole thing stripped and  sanded,
then the usual chrome process of copper on first, buffing and polishing  to
get it to the shine you  see in the finished product, then nickel  plated,
finally flashed with chrome. The silver you see is actually the nickel.  The
chrome is about a molecule thick and is a hard coating.

A LOT of work. Far superior results for your car will be to replace them
with an accurate reproduction. Better final result and infinitely less
hassle.  And cheaper.

Back to the gas cap. Had one done and it was unsatisfactory and dreadfully
expensive.

You can always send back the new reproduction to a reputable vendor for
your money back. Try that with a chrome shop. Chroming should left for common
big steel parts (bumpers and overriders), and unobtanium parts.

Best,

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A
382002083