[Tigers] List

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Thu Sep 13 07:25:40 MDT 2012

Thanks to all who replied that the list is NOT dead, just kinda
hibernating.  Glad to hear it. I would, and maybe others would also,
like to see the owners's stories on how and when they acquired their
car(s) and why they did so.

I'll start/

Somewhere around 1963 - 1965, I went to the Santa Barbara, Ca. airport
in Goleta to watch some SCCA racing. But mainly it was to see the new
Honda 125 and 250 cc factory bikes and riders.  Wow, they were sop fast
that even though they had tostart with the small displacement
motorcycles, within a few laps they were ahead of everything. Finished
inorder, lol. But, then there were the car races. I saw TVR, Griffiths,
and a Tiger, namely number 55.  I had absolutely no idea that such a car
existed. I watched as it just about ate eveything and it simply caught
my heart, lol.  I was still in school at Cal Poly, SLO, at the time, so
barely had a pot to pee in, let alone own anything like that. So, back
to school I went with that car always in the back of my mind.  I was
driving my 1959 Ford Fairlane 600 4 door, a big sofa on wheels, lol.
After graduation, I went to work for Boeing up in Seattle then within
months transferred back to California, Santa Maria and Vandenberg AFB to
work on aerospace junk. One day soon after arrival, I was driving around
in town and went by one of those small side street car lots and there it
was!  No hesitation, turned right into the lot, asked what the asking
price was, and bought it on the spot.  $2500 bucks, with 13000 miles on
it. That was in January 1967. Almost 49 years ago. Originally sold in
Ventura, Ca.  No plans for investment, drove the snot out of it for
years and years, had it painted several times, twice in the original
color of midnight blue, one in a midnight blue metallic, then orange and
now an orange pearl paint.  I have the car under refurb, not
restoration, with a number of soft bits and pieces slowly going back
onto the car.  Original motor, trans, rear has the 3.54 rear gear with
posi,  original carb on the motor  went walkabout a long time ago. Had
swapped in a "full race" motor, a 289 that had been reworked making a
LOT of hp for a while then decided you can't daily drive your race car
or race your daily driver so the 260 went back in. Race motor is still
with me as well. At the time of the 289, I had a set of 4.55 rear gears
in the car.  Not a good idea, lol... No intent on ever selling the car
although the kids probably will when I am gone. But maybe the wife will
drive it some before then.

mayf