[Tigers] Some news re my Aussie Tiger...it wasn't meant to cost this much!!

David and Varley Tweddle davidandvarley at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 18:40:25 MDT 2012

Hi all,

Had a sudden bad noise in the Tiger which I thought I should get straight on
to. It turned out to be 3 missing teeth from my 160t Flywheel ring gear.

To discover this I had to remove engine and gearbox, to do this I removed
front cross member, to do this I took car out to a friend who has a two post
hoist....who is a very good spray painter....who then talked me into
repainting engine bay....to do this I had to strip out all components...which
then prompted me to tidy up wiring, rebuild brake, clutch master
cylinders.....etc  etc  etc.

Then I thought....while the engine is out I should fix the Intake manifold oil
leak....just weeping out that pesky front manifold seal near distributor
(persistently for the last 10 years)...and then discovered inlet manifold
corroded (it has been on there for 28 years). Thought I better check front
timing cover....it too was corroded. Better replace those whilst I at it. I
bought a new water pump to go onto new timing cover. Thought seeing as I'm
that far into it, better check valve stem seals....may as well re ring and fit
new rod and main bearings....and recut valve seats and lap them in.

Well, engine is back together, engine bay painted (it looks terrific) all
ready to drop out cross member and fit new suspension rubbers...may as
well...then paint cross member and re assemble everything.

"Everything" includes my relationship with my Managing
Director/Treasurer/Chief of the War Office(wife) .... this has gone over
budget by 400+%!!

I'm hoping time and a few nice dinners, maybe a new Tennis racquet and years
of subservience will ease the pressure off a bit.

Still, it will be nice to be behind the wheel again. 28 years between rebuilds
is probably OK.

Cheers
David Tweddle
Perth, West Australia.