[Tigers] Shelby Obits

Carlo Bernardino crbdino at me.com
Mon May 14 21:41:04 MDT 2012

Like everyone in the Tiger community,  I was saddened to hear of his passing. I also was saddened that I will not be able to meet the man, at a show or elsewhere. It would be need to shake the hand of one of my automotive heroes. However, one things that I find interesting that none of his obituaries in the press even mention remotely the Tiger and his involvement. Some mention great minute details of his life in Africa, or his chili pursuits, or how he helped with the Omni GLH and other cars. But no Tiger. I know I am speaking to the choir, but it is as good a time as any to set the record straight.

Autoweek just posted a list of Shelby's 10 most important cars, and I wrote Dutch Mandel, one of the editors, mentioning the Tiger's omission. He countered that the tiger was like the Toyota 2000 GT that Shelby raced. I wrote back saying the two are not at all analogous. Furthermore, we could argue that he did more engineering in the tiger's case than lending his name on the modern Shelby mustangs or Omni pocket rockets.

Rob

Rob in Carmel, CA
1966 Mk1A Tiger
B382000262 LRXFE