[Tigers] Gauges & Voltage Stabilizer

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Mon Jul 30 11:53:07 MDT 2012

>>> On a related issue, my problem is that my gas gauge does not read full
>>> even when the tank is full. <<<

My experience has been that "old fuel varnish" builds up on the portion of
the wire wound resistor that is not often submerged in gas (meaning a tank
that often isn't full).  I have removed the the varnish and have restored
the funtionality of the sender.  I have also found it necessay to run a
"shunt" wire (a small flexible wire) from the wiper arm to the body of the
sender. Senders are often relying on loose fitting parts for conductivity.

 You may also have a bent sender arm or a leaking float.  I have encountered
situation where the hole is very small and on the top side.  Normal driving
with a less than full tank did not infiltrate the float.  However,
completely filling the tank held the float in a constantly submerged
condition and eventually sunk it.

All this in "generic" sender experience with many different cars over many
years, but the general principals still apply.

Tom