[Tigers] Windshield Wiper Motor

Tod Brown todbrown at roadrunner.com
Tue Jul 24 09:47:17 MDT 2012

Hi Bill:

The windshield wiper motor and rack is a PIA, mainly because of access.
I hope you are young and have a flexible back.  I had a similar
situation some time back and did, indeed, find that the grease had taken
on a very large Reynold's number.  Even if that is not the case, it
would be a good idea to replace it if you have the mechanism out rather
than having to do it again.  The wiring of the motor is also a bit
strange in that the switch is on the ground (WTFWTT?) side.  You can
find some pretty good discussion of all of this in the CAT Shop Notes,
pp N-34 & N-35.  If you don't have a copy, it is worth the expense of
joining CAT just to be able to buy a copy of the Shop Notes.

Tod
B382002384LRXFE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently gotten a Mark II back on the road after a long sleep - cannot
get wipers to work, assume motor is burned out or grease in mechanism has
essentially solidified.  Does anyone on list have link to good tech tip on R
and R of wiper mechanism?  Thanks.

Bill Bulpitt
William S. Bulpitt, P.E.
Principal Mechanical Engineer