[Tigers] Vinyl Dye - vs - Vinyl Paint

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Thu Jul 19 23:39:11 MDT 2012

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm finding that there are cans of
colorant called "dye" but in the end it is basically some form of "paint."
And, that includes the much revered SEM products.  I just don't think a true
dye for vinyl exists.

 I have a couple of new cans of Rustoleum black vinyl paint I got at the
Habitat for Humanity store a while back. Today I quickly sanded a flexible
vinyl ruler, sprayed two light coats (it covered bright yellow very well)
and 15 minutes later I bent it, scratched it rather hard and saw no
cracking, scuffing or paint removal.  So, at $3 a can I'm going forward with
it. I'm sure the SEM products are good, but with all their cleaners, preps
and paint it was going to be about $60 to paint a console I bought for $12
and U-Pull Parts.

Tom