[Tigers] Fiberglass Male Plug

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Mon Sep 5 11:51:45 MDT 2011

Gathering up my smarts...from you folk! I am going to make a foam and
metal buck or male plug to make a fiberglass mold from which I can make
a new nose piece for the Sunbeam. I have seen folk just glass over the
plug with out any particular preparations and then wrestle with getting
the foam out of the inside. That might work well but it seems to leave a
coarser finish on the glass.  I think I want to shape the foam and then
bondo it to make it smooth, paint it and finish the plug like the
exterior I want the nose piece to have.  Then I will wax it and then put
PVA or another thing parting material on it. Then a gel coat for the
ultimate smoothness.  The use glass weave and mat to make the female
mold. Lots of layers. The before I remove it from the plug, add some
stiffening structure to the back side. Remove it from the plug. The
remove the plug.  Repair any imperfections in the mold with maybe
plaster of  Paris and re paint it. Then wax and PVA followed by gel coat
of my favorite color. When that sets then do the glass work on the
inside.  Add some ribs and stiffeners on the inside. And then mount it
to the car.

But, th efirst question is, what kind of bondo or filler goop woudl work
best in the kind of application. There seems to be a lot of them.
That's prety much the only question I have for now, but more will crop
up later I am sure.

Any help or thoughts out there?

mayf

--