[Tigers] Seat Cardboard

Tod Brown todbrown at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 13 13:27:37 MST 2011

A week or so ago, I asked if anyone had a source or a replacement for
the cardboard used in the Tiger seats and, as usual, received a number
of helpful replies.  Thanks to all for their suggestions.  The easiest
seemed to be poster board, but I wanted something that might be a little
more weather resistant.  Since I live in an area where there are a lot
of boats, I thought one of the local shops that does upholstery for such
might have some ideas, but that did not pan out.  I then spent a while
walking around in the local Lowe's and found a couple of possibilities.
Rande had suggested looking for some plastic sheets and I found a
product called FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) which is .09 inch
thick and comes in 4 x 8 sheets.  It's very flexible and even comes in
two colors, white and beige.  I think it would work well.  However, it
dawned on me as I wandered around that vinyl flooring would also make a
good choice.  I looked at several samples in Lowe's and found that it
comes in many thicknesses and is also pretty flexible.  I then
remembered some leftover vinyl flooring I had found stashed away in my
attic that was the previous owners' idea of appropriate floor covering
for an 1820 New England cape circa 1970, but I just couldn't bring
myself to use it, and took it to the transfer station instead, although
it pained my Yankee sensibilities.  I think decorating trends from the
1970's are best destroyed and forgotten wherever they may be found.
Instead, I bought a remnant from a local flooring shop.  It takes about
16 square feet.  I had saved the original cardboard, so I used them for
templates and, in short order, had a new set of backings for my seats.
The original cardboard has survived almost 45 years so I think the
replacements will probably outlast the originals and most certainly the
original owner.  My seats should be ready to go back in shortly.

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 0864